Organic Bearberry Leaves (Uva Ursi)
Botanical Name: Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
(1) Prevents UTI – The tannins in uva-ursi are great for uterine health. The bearberry plant is considered as one of the best antiseptics for treating urinary infections as it helps reduce the bacteria in the urine. It helps treat urinary tract infection (UTI), urolithiasis, and reducing inflammation in that area.
(2) Protects the Immune System-The most powerful chemical compounds, hydroquinones, found in bearberry, act as powerful antibacterial agents that can keep a wide range of diseases away from you. By eliminating harmful agents and foreign substances, bearberries can protect everything from your gut to your skin, acting as a defense against bacteria.
(3) Detoxifies the Body-Bearberry is most commonly used as a natural diuretic. Therefore, it helps eliminate excess salts, fats, water, and toxic materials from your body, simultaneously cleansing the bladder and kidneys.
(4) Relieves Headaches-Bearberry has been used for hundreds of years as a headache reliever. To achieve this particular benefit, you need to smoke the dried leaves of the uva-ursi shrub, which produces a similar effect as the widely known cannabis plant. This narcotic use is one of the more controversial health benefits of bearberry and is looked down upon in many circles, but it is an effective headache remedy.
(4) Treats Arthritis-Bearberry helps in reducing inflammation and therefore is very suitable for people suffering from rheumatism arthritis and the pain associated with it.
Avoid: It can cause nausea, vomiting, and can turn the urine greenish-brown. Uva ursi is possibly unsafe when taken in high doses or for a long time.