Botanical Name: Ocimum Basilicum
1. Good for digestion: Basil leaves contain eugenol that will ensure anti-inflammatory action in the digestive tract. It also helps balances the acid within the body, and restore it to the proper pH level.
2. Anti-inflammatory: Basil leaves contain powerful essential oils, including eugenol, citronellol, and linalool, which help lower inflammation through their enzyme inhibiting properties.
3. Smooth skin: The strong inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of basil would help prevent the formation of acne.
4. Fight depression: Basil leaves are believed to stimulate neurotransmitters that regulate the hormones responsible for inducing happiness and energy.
5. Diabetes management: Basil leaves contain a very low glycemic load. The essential oil present in basil also helps cut down triglyceride and cholesterol levels, which is a persistent risk factor amongst diabetics.
Avoid: Do not use it before surgery.