Organic Soap Nuts Deseeded
Botanical Name:Sapindus mukorossi
The husk or de-seeded nut.
Just a few nuts (4-6) in a cotton muslin bag should work for an entire load. There will be little or no bubbles during the wash cycle, and it will smell lightly similar to apple cider. They can be used several times and then composted afterwards. They will look mushy and grey when they need to be changed. They can also be used in a powder form as a cleansing cream by adding a small amount of water.
Soap nuts can be used for anything that you would normally use detergent for; washing the car, windows, etc. Some people have used them as a base for shampoos and hand lotions, and as an all purpose cleaner for around the home. They can be used as an anti-microbial for septic systems. Jewelers in India and Indonesia have used them to remove tarnish from jewelry and other precious metals for many centuries.
How To Make Soap Nut Liquid
You can make your own detergent. Soap Nut liquid is an all-purpose cleanser and it is very simple and easy to make. Just like cooking. You can use it for washing your laundry, cleaning your windows, dishes, cars, furniture and everything else. There are 2 ways to go about extracting the saponin from the Soap Nuts.
Extract By Soaking
- Get a 1.5 litre bottle, add in 15 whole Soap Nuts and fill the bottle with water and let it soak overnight or for about8 hours.
- Remove the Soap Nuts and store the Soap Nut Liquid in the bottle for use. It can keep up to 1 week.
- You can air-dry the Soap Nutsand add them to the next batch if you wish.
Extract By Boiling
Time for some DIY fun! Basically this is a water extraction method to extract saponin from the Soap Nuts. Like cooking a pot of Soap Nut Soup. When boiling, suds will form and so be careful not to let the suds overflow.
- Add 1.5 litres (6 cups) of water into a pot.
- Add in15 wholeSoap Nuts.
- Turn to high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, turn down to low heat and let it simmer for another 30mins. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and allow the liquid to cool. You will get about 1 litre (3-4 cups) of Soap Nut Liquid.
- Strain away the Soap Nutsand store Soap Nut Liquid in a bottlefor use. It can keep up to a week.
- Soap Nuts can be added to your compost.
Specific: Not for internal use.
Note: For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Health Sciences Authority (HSA).This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.